Welcome to the North Yorkshire Safeguarding Adults Board Website
The North Yorkshire safeguarding adults board has been set up to protect adults who may be at risk from abuse by promoting co-operation and effective working practices between different agencies.
Safeguarding and the Care Act The Care Act came into force in April 2015. This sets out a clear legal framework for how local authorities and other parts of the health and care system should protect adults at risk of abuse or neglect. The Act creates a legal framework so key organisations and individuals with responsibilities for adult safeguarding can agree on how they must work together and what roles they must play to keep adults at risk safe. This gives the safeguarding adults board a clear basis in law for the first time.
The North Yorkshire safeguarding adults board brings together a combination of NHS, police, local government, independent and voluntary sector and community partners seeking to ensure that adults who may be vulnerable are safe and well.
The Care Act expects safeguarding boards to ensure that safeguarding is personal, and that everyone in the community understands it and has a responsibility for supporting it. The Care Act is designed to make care and support clearer and fairer and to promote the wellbeing of both the people who are cared for and their carers. It supports the aims of adult safeguarding which are to:
It supports the aims of adult safeguarding which are to:
- Stop abuse or neglect wherever possible
- Prevent harm and reduce the risk of abuse or neglect to adults with care and support needs
- Safeguard adults in a way that supports them in making choices and having control about how they want to live
- Promote an approach that concentrates on improving life for the adults concerned
- Raise public awareness so that communities as a whole, alongside professionals, play their part in preventing, identifying and responding to abuse and neglect
- Provide information and support in accessible ways to help people understand the different types of abuse, how to stay safe and what to do to raise a concern about the safety and wellbeing of an adult; and
- Address what has caused the abuse or neglect.
You can find more information about the work the board does and safeguarding in general throughout this website. The policies and procedures have been developed in consultation with all partner agencies on the safeguarding adults board.